Barnstable County Regional Emergency Planning Committee Media Release 02 – July Tornado 2019
July 23, 2019
For Immediate Release
County Fire Chiefs urge caution in generator use
BARNSTABLE (MA) July 23, 2019 – With the widespread power outages affecting some parts of Cape Cod, many people are making use of generators to provide emergency power. Barnstable County Fire Chiefs urge citizens to be cautious in the operation and placement of their generators.
- Place the generator outdoors facing away from doors, windows and vents. Never use a generator inside a house, basement or crawl space – not even inside a garage with the door open. When possible, place the generator 5-10 feet away from the house.
- Plug appliances directly into the generator or use heavy-duty, outdoor rated extension cords, not to exceed the number of outlets on the generator. Make sure cords are free of cuts and tears and have all three prongs – especially the grounding pin.
- Keep the generator dry. Operate on a dry surface under an open canopy or tent.
- Dry your hands before touching the generator.
- Let the generator cool before refueling. Fuel spilled on hot engine parts could ignite.
For detailed information on generator installation, use, and safety click this link to the Massachusetts Office of the State Fire Marshal. https://www.mass.gov/media/
Hyannis Chamber's Community Calendar of Upcoming Events